Following Grouping in 1923, the shed was rebuilt by the Southern Railway and at its peak had an allocation of over 120 locomotives.
Following nationalisation in 1948 it was given the shed code 72A.
Bulleid's contribution greatly transformed the 'Nelson's' (Above-Below) No 850 Lord Nelson departs from Waterloo with the 5pm West of England express in May 1936; the loco is about to pass beneath the overhead signal box, which closed in October 1936 as part of the Waterloo approaches re-signalling and commissioning of Wimbledon Flyover.
(Below) The absence of smoke deflectors dates this photo of 'Lord Nelson' class No 861 Lord Anson receiving attention from the driver at Wokingham station in November 1929.
It was decided to name the he first G14 to be rebuilt was given the first name King Arthur.