The move was made possible by Sir William Hesketh Lever.
During the 17th Century, the school moved from its original Tudor building to new premises beside the Parish Church in Bolton.
Bolton Girls' Day School was established on 1 October 1877 as one of the earliest public day schools for girls in the country.
In 1982, the Leverhulme Pavilion at Oldfield was opened by Philip Lever, 3rd Viscount Leverhulme, Lord Leverhulme's grandson.
Other additions to the school’s facilities include the sports complex and swimming pool in 1986; the Arts & Conference Centre, opened by Diana, Princess of Wales in 1993; and Patterdale Hall, an outdoor pursuits centre at the southern end of Ullswater in the Lake District.
As of 2014 The Boys' Division contains 15 science laboratories (including the Kroto Chemistry Building), 7 Technology workshops, 5 computer suites, a Languages Laboratory, the Mc Kellen studio theatre, the Great Hall, and sports and fitness facilities.